The Harquail School of Earth Sciences at Laurentian University is equipped with an impressive array of analytical instruments, allowing students and researchers to conduct cutting edge research. The analytical methods accessible to our students and researchers allow collection of chemical, physical, structural information from a variety of materials (minerals, rocks, glass, soils and water).
- Geochemical Fingerprinting Lab, that comprises two new ICP-MS instruments set up in 2017: 1) an iCAP™ Triple Quadrupole ICP-MS (Thermo Scientific™) and 2) a Neptune Plus™ High Resolution Multicollector ICP-MS (Thermo Scientific™). Both are connected to a new UV laser ablation ICP-MS system allowing ppb-level element concentration and U/Pb isotope analyses for geochronological purposes.
- Electron microprobe (Cameca SX-50), equipped with four spectrometers and an Energy-Dispersive Spectrometry detector.
- Scanning electron microscope JEOL6400, equipped with an Energy-Dispersive Spectrometer detector (SEM-EDS) along with a Chroma CL detector and an Electron Backscatter detector; runs with INCA software, which includes the image-analysis software FEATURE.
- Fluid Inclusions Lab, used for microthermometric studies to characterize ore-forming fluids and prepare sample for LA-ICP-MS and SEM-EDS analysis
- X-ray diffractometry (powder and single-crystal)
- Raman spectroscopy (Horiba Jobin Yvon XploRA)
- Photography Lab, equipped to take hi-resolution pictures of thin sections and specimens, Equipment: Olympus BX41 (reflected and transmitted) and an Olympus SZ61 stereomicroscope with a boomstand and ringlights, and a Nikon thin section scanner (Super COOLSCAN 5000), Lumenera Infinity camera and corresponding image processing software. Contact Tobias Roth for access.
- Petrographic microscopy (Olympus BX51, reflected and transmitted), equipped with a spectrometer for producing quantified reflectance measurements - cold-cathode optical cathodoluminescence.
- The Ontario Geoscience Laboratories, in which many of our analytical labs are housed, further complements our analytical services and conveniently provides a wide-range of analytical services to our researchers.